Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2022

In the middle of another night

Some nights it's my leg that wakes me up--a burning pain that an MRI last week gave a name to--garden variety stenosis that most people of a certain age know all you need to know about, caused by bulging in L4 and L5. I'm seeing Jan's pain doc on Tuesday and hoping for an injection that will make it better.  I'm so ready to do a road trip when the weather gets nice--which requires a whole lot of hours sitting.  

While I'm up, I might as well watch some art videos....

When I started this adventure of online learning, I was attracted to art journaling and card making--and there are countless good videos that I call the "oh wow" lessons.  Using gel medium, gesso, water color, acrylic paint, alcohol inks lets me play like a little kid just for play's sake.  I made nothing remarkable, but what fun it's been!

Then I discovered the gel plate--a plate made of gelatin that allows me to make mono prints with paint.  Once I get started, I get so absorbed in the process I could do it all day! Sometimes Jan does it with me, and she's falling in love with it,  too.

With the finished multi-colored and textured pages on rice paper, music paper, and whatever is at hand. I cut them up to make cards, envelopes, and collages. My favorite project was covering an entire armoire with circles cut from gel prints. When I get some relief from the leg issue, I hope to do at least one entire wall with a mosaic of gel giblets. Or who knows? maybe the kitchen cabinets. 

My best teachers are four older women, like me, my inspirers: 

Lyn Belisle (with whom I've taken wonderful in-person classes before COVID) and online classes after lockdown;  Jane Davies (Vermont), Jennifer Nieuwenhof (Australia), and Bobbi Baugh (Florida).  These artists are makers of magic who make me want to get right up and try to do what they're doing!





No comments: