Pages

Sunday, February 15, 2015

"Interestingness hunter-gatherer"

This site brainpickings.org is terrific!

Here's what you'll find out about its creator (born in 1984) in her own words: "Hey there. My name is Maria Popova and I’m a reader, writer, interestingness hunter-gatherer, and curious mind at large. I’ve previously written for Wired UK, The Atlantic, The New York Times, and Harvard’s Nieman Journalism Lab, among others, and am an MIT Futures of Entertainment Fellow."

Among other things, she discusses books and writers--so when you go to her site, you'll wind up going to the library or ordering books and following her tracks to other sites.

My journey tonight has taken me from Brain Pickings to On Being (with Krista Tippet in a rare interview with Mary Oliver) then back to BP to a page on the power of journal-keeping, then a review of Anne Lamott's newest book,  Stitches.

Here's a snippet from this week's newsletter:

The stories that we tell ourselves, whether they be false or true, are always real. We act out of those stories, reacting to their realness. William James knew this when he observed: “My experience is what I agree to attend to. Only those items which I notice shape my mind.”






No comments: