Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2021

Friday and Saturday nights

I'd been nervous about the challenges of this weekend--driving solo two nights in a row to places outside the usual neighborhood comfort zone.  I, whose shtick is solo travel, who's traveled solo to the west coast, the east coast, and back roads all over America--was ready to admit that all that was over.  

I've been listening too much to the voices of doom, my own included.  Driving at night is hard; driving in thick traffic is a thing of the past; we're old now, so let's buck up and face the new reality

On Friday night, I drove to Nathan's first high school band performance--for which he's been preparing all summer.  I parked in one of the blue spaces for which I have a tag and walked to the bleachers.  Elena spotted me and helped me up the stairs. 

When the band started playing, as I watched Nathan on the front row with his bass drums and a big smile on his face, I knew that moment was worth the hour long drive each way. 

Last night, I drove to Bandera for the kids rodeo.   It was to start at five, but when I left at 8:30, Elena's events hadn't even started yet.  Still--it was a wonderful day, very Texas.  The sun dropped and the golden nearly-full moon rose and I got to see lots of roping and watch the kids riding their horses and ponies behind the field between events.

I felt happy driving home under a big fat moon last night.  And though I'm a bit exhausted--not from the doing it but from the worry that I couldn't--I'm glad to be back in my saddle again!











No comments: