Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2024

Discoveries and Riches

1. National Public Radio: 

My radio is set to 89.1.  It's company, information, book reviews, news, travel, the arts.  I'd definitely count public radio as one of the riches of my world.  Here are two paraphrases of lines I've heard this week: 

Astronaut Ed White born in San Antonio in 1930, said: 

"From space there is no line between Russia and Ukraine.  There is no line between the reds and the blues in America.  Why can't we all get along and save this planet and ourselves?"

"I believe that anyone who runs for office in any country should first take three trips around the planet...."

Rick Steves, travel guide writer:  "The best way to travel to other countries is to go off-season if you can and avoid the popular tourist destinations."  Americans, he said, love to go where everybody is, where everyone has posted on Facebook and Instagram.  We want that picture, that experience, rather than seeking our own. 

2. Boba Tea

Elena introduced me to these drinks this week--tea and milk mixes of various flavors with fruity little tapioca pearls that burst with flavor in your mouth as you drink through a fat straw.

I love the passionfruit green tea with mango pearls so much that I ordered seven-pounds of mango pearls from Amazon so I can make my own. 

Kung Fu and other Boba Tea cafes are all over the city serving these drinks that originated in Taiwan in the 80s.  Such a refreshing discovery!

3. Streaming movies

My pick of the week is Robert Duval in The Judge.

4. Estate sales

I love treasure hunts, whether in thrift shops or garage sales, but I find the best quality in estate sales.  This weekend's find was a Bose sound system to replace the one I used for 25 years.  Estate sales are bittersweet, for obvious reasons. 

5. Stretch and Flex classes at Gold's gym--or "yoga for older people." 

6. Spelling Bee and other word games in online The New York Times--along with news and feature stories. 

7.  Podcasts--like On Being, 1A, The Moth,  and This American Life--for road trips. 

No comments: