Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2024

What She Forgot

My mother, 99 in August is remarkable!  She's waited for almost a year for her slightly-assisted living apartment in Athens, and Monday was move-in day.  

She's meticulously planned: where the furniture will go, not to take her television or computer, which CDs (piano hymns) to take.  While I was at the lake in Virgina, Bob and Jocelyn moved and unloaded furniture, pictures and linens, so that when we walked in and she saw it, we were all teary with delight. Her apartment is beautiful! With two large rooms and a bathroom, it's colorful, uncluttered and homey. Four of the many stained glass pieces she's made were hanging in the windows, and Jocelyn had made her a welcome cake.

I'm staying at her house and using her car,  and we talk a few times a day.  She is SO happy, going to activities and meals with a notebook to help her remember the names of staff and residents. 

As for me, I'm organizing the house with fewer pieces of furniture, getting it ready for the cleaners to do the heavy cleaning. I love organizing,so it's like playing house. I even have art supplies on the back porch so that I can do gel prints and collages. 




First Look



She didn't forget her night-gown, toothpaste, or positivity.  She didn't forget her enthusiasm, her cane, or a few books and jewelry.  Her paperwork was organized in neat folders.   

In this last picture, we were just leaving the house she's lived in for sixty years.  

As we were driving out of her neighborhood, she said, 

"Oh, I forgot to cry!" 

No comments: