Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Illusions of Immortality

This afternoon I was awakened by the sound of the Fed Ex man ringing the doorbell at the exact moment I got a text from Day thanking me for the origami paper I'd sent her.  (When you divide your stash or send samples thereof, and put it in a box and mail it, it's called Happy Mail.)

We love fabrics and paints and papers so much--and I opened my 12 little pots of Dylusions paints with glee.  Maybe that's how a cook feels when she buys exotic ingredients or how a knitter feels when she goes to the yarn store?

The colors are named Crushed Grape, Lemon Zest, Cut Grass, Postbox Red, London Blue, etc.--all summoning flavors and places, all delicious.

So even though I vowed not to order any more art supplies from Amazon or any more stencils from Stencil Girl, I broke my vow.

I have decided that having a rich supply of colors makes me feel almost immortal because I'll have to live a very long time to use them all up! So be it.  I'll take that.

I'm reminded of how I feel when I visit an artist's studio--Nellie's or Joy's or Barbel's--and how full of possibilities a room feels when it has lots of well-used brushes and paints.  Even if you don't want to start painting, if you want to put stretchers on your imagination, buy some colors--and voila!  You'll feel that rush of excitement you used to feel on Christmas morning.

No comments: