Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Grantchester Season 8

Over the years, I've probably watched several seasons of Masterpiece's Grantchester.  Last night I stayed up until 3:00 watching the 8th and final season.

Geordie, a police inspector in Oxfordshire, befriends the local vicar, Will--enjoys hanging out with Geordie as he questions suspects and helps solve crimes. 

This show is so PBS, so good-hearted, so proper, most episodes ending with a sermon. 

Like the characters in Call the Midwife, those in Grantchester are good souls. Except perhaps the murderers. Not all stories have happy endings.  

"He's in the frame" is what detectives say as they are narrowing down suspects.  Together, vicar and detective do a lot of sleuthing to find out exactly which suspect remains in the frame and goes to jail.  

But beyond the murders and detective work, this series appeals to me because the main characters are diverse people who care for each other and go the proverbial extra mile to help each other out: the detective and his wife; two men who, seasons ago, shocked the church-goers for being gay and who by later seasons are beloved by all; the townspeople. 

Everybody messes up from time to time. When they do, they apologize and make amends.  "I wasn't myself and I'm so so sorry," they say.  "What can I do now to help?" 

In Season 8, Will goes through a crisis of his faith, a dark night of the soul. While he's always been a guide and protector for the people in his parish, the tables are turned in season 8 as they rally around him and help him through his suffering.

I love watching a depiction of a social order based on truth-telling, forgiveness, and kindness.  I will miss it now that all 8 seasons have come to a close.   


No comments: