Pages

Sunday, February 11, 2024

The question before the house

At Middle Georgia College--where I attended for two quarters before my wedding--we had a political science professor who began every lecture with these words: "The question before the house is...."

After his memorable opening lines, he droned on and on for fifty minutes. I remember nothing but his opening lines.

As I work on house and home, the voice of Professor Uruquart often comes to mind:

One question before the house is: to what extent will these changes affect how I live in the house?  Will having a dining table that seats eight transform me into a person who invites people over for dinner?  Will I recapture my lost love of cooking? 

Does what's in a house determine what one does in a house?  

Will these colorful Kantha quilts I ordered from Etsy have the desired effect when I sew them into curtains and tablecloths?

Sir Winston Churchill said, "We shape our buildings, thereafter they shape us." 

Fantasies of who we will be when....(when we settle, when we finish, when we move, when we marry or stop being married)...are like creating a stage set for a play.  But who knows?  Maybe I'll never write the play.  Maybe I'll continue working on the stage set just for my own amusement.  




No comments: