Pages

Sunday, February 23, 2014

What You, Too, Can Do on Dateless Friday and Saturday Nights

For the low cost of $25, you, too, can spend six hours taking an online defensive driving course.   By one in the morning, following two nights of listening to lame jokes and looking at cartoons, you can--as I just did--take a multiple choice test that it would be virtually impossible to fail.

However, to be fair, I'm not sure I would have passed the test without taking the course.  I now know that a seatbelt must be worn over the shoulder, not under the arm as I have always done.  I grew up before seat belts.  I was a mother when mothers thought we could reach our arms out to protect our unbelted children in the front passenger seat. I still throw my arm across the empty passenger seat as a reflex if it looks like someone ahead of me is stopping suddenly. When seat belts were first required by law, I balked.

I learned about the consequences of driving with a .08 BAC--that is blood alcohol content. (Since I don't drink still or moving, I'm not too worried about losing my license, but watching the videos in this class made me more aware of how many other drivers out there are drinking.)  Texas has more alcohol-related fatalities each year than any other state.

I learned some stuff about hydroplaning on wet roads.

I learned that it takes a train a mile to stop--so I will stop trying to race across the tracks.  (just kidding, Carlene, I don't do that.)

So, with a 95% score on my multiple choice test, and my eyes bleary from watching six hours of training, I am going to bed.  And I am never, ever, going to go 51 in a 35 speed zone again.







No comments: