Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

When "foot" means almost everything

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day in San Antonio.
When Janet P, my passenger and willing companion, and I drove up to the storefront "Foot Spa," neon lights flashing "Foot massage $35 an hour," she was a tiny bit dubious, I think.

Signs on the glass had diagrams of reflexology--which had attracted me to the place and I felt a need for some footsie rejuvenation.

We sat in the car for a while; I assured Janet it would be fine.  I'd walked in one day last week to check it out and had a brief conversation with a Chinese woman named Linda, mostly in a kind of sign language since she obviously didn't understand much English and I obviously didn't speak her language.

Inside it was very dark.  Seven comfy white-sheeted tables were lined up in a room that was probably very clean--though it was too dark to tell much more about it.  A tree with multi-colored lights, a Buddha, some Asian music: I liked it.  I liked it better doing it for the first time with my friend.

We lay on the tables fully clothed, side by side, and they put our feet into a tub of hot water.  Then they began massaging our heads.

"I thought this was a foot massage only," Janet said.

"Yes," they said.

"But you're massaging my head," Janet said.

"Yes," they said.

"But I just washed my hair," Janet said, "I don't think I want any oil in my hair."

"Yes,' they said, continuing to massage both our heads.  They called in a young woman to to translate, but she didn't actually know much more English than the two who were about to give us these wonderful massages.

We both gave up trying to communicate, and fell into the Nirvana of two massage recipients.  It was one of those amazing hours you want to share with all your good friends!  Foot massage in Chinese must mean head, shoulders, arms, legs, back and feet.




No comments: