Pages

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Betty, the Fifties, and the Colored Dolls

One of the reasons I like sleeping so much is getting the dreams that come down the pike--and this morning's dream was worth going back to bed to finish (if I could) because it was so much fun!

The setting: Tong's Thai restaurant on Austin Highway--except it had a huge, beautiful, Fifties-style dining room that it really doesn't have.  "Has this dining room been here all the time?" I asked--and was told yes, it had been there, I'd just not noticed it before.

I was seated before Betty arrived for our lunch date.  She walked in shortly afterwards, dressed to the nines and carrying two life-sized rag dolls she had made for me.  They were dressed glamorously and wore beautiful red silk shoes.  Their skin was not "flesh"--the color in the crayon box assigned to white people--but was made out of brown fabric.  They were--as we said in the Fifties--"colored." (Excuse my political incorrectness for a moment and know I'm going with dream truth here.)

She also had a baby with her--one she'd agreed to raise: a precocious little baby who could walk.

After lunch, we got into her SUV (which she doesn't have in real life, never has) and drove around, talking about how we could make some more of these dolls.  When the phone rang and woke me up, we were in a fabric store asking for that exact color of fabric.

I have no idea what that dream means, but it was a delightful one and I want to go back and see what becomes of our doll-making project!

This week I've watched Breathless and Bridge of Spies--both of which take place in the Fifties.  Watching those, I'd been having a hankering for tuna casserole, chocolate fudge and salmon croquettes--foods of the Fifties.

My dream writer did what she does so well--mixed up a recipe for visiting the Fifties with Betty--who was my constant companion back then. When I called Betty to tell her this implausible tale, she reminded me that she sews nothing, let alone rag dolls.  But she does make fantastic chocolate fudge!


No comments: