Pages

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Last week of March 2021

Almost April, and I've gone nowhere further than Helotes.  As much as I'd like to see "Mama 'n em" and Betty on her birthday tomorrow, and as much as I'd like to see Day's family in Virginia, something's holding me back from actually packing and leaving.  The right time for travel will show up, but it's not quite yet.

Met Kate for an hour at Bee's for Mexican food. The food and conversation were  just right, but we were both then ready to go home.  Home, we've decided, is where we most want to be, having been mostly alone in our houses (me til I got sweet Luci) for over a year. We wonder, collectively, all of us how long it will be until we're ready to venture forth into the world.

The downsides of the last weeks of March are terrible. 

The horror of more mass shootings.  The unbelievable actions of Georgia Republicans to make it harder to vote and to outlaw giving water to voters standing in long lines.  The world as we knew it going haywire. 

As Martin Luther King said, "What affects one directly affects us all indirectly." It feels some days that we are walking on broken ground.  

As for me, I got a parking ticket, realized the dryer I'd just bought was a dud, and had a frightful few minutes of Luci in a parking lot--all of which added up to a desire to stay put for a bit longer. 

I gave my girl her first bath last night.  She didn't love it but she tolerated it and then ran outside and rolled in leaves and stole my shoe, doing her dog version of a revenge grin.  She is today a sweet smelling little bundle of mischief and affection. 


My mo to accomplish much of anything is low, spring fever maybe.  But I've watched three excellent documentaries this week: 

Time (Amazon)--a powerful documentary I'd already seen but was so worth seeing again--about a family who waited 21 years to be reunited with the father serving time in a Louisiana penitentiary.

Allen v. Farrow (HBO)--a four-episode documentary about Woody Allen and Mia Farrow in a custody battle after he abused two of her daughters.

Flannery (PBS)--a documentary about Flannery O'Connor, Carlene's classmate at GSCW in the early 1940s.  Carlene always says of her: "Flannery went on to fame; I just went on."  Flannery died of lupus at the age of 39. 




No comments: