Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2021

June 9th

Today--had I not broken my promise "to love and obey til death do us part"--  would have been the 54th anniversary of my first and only wedding.  Can you believe we actually said "obey"?  Without anyone so much as blinking an eye?  

But that's how it was in 1967.  The girl I was, at 18, made a promise I'm happy to say I broke after 28 years to begin a new life.

Today I celebrated another milestone toward straightening and bending my leg with Janet and Chris--Janet the observer and coach, Chris the physical therapist, me puffing as if I were having a baby and Janet and Chris saying "You can do it!"  It's amazing how much more a leg will bend if you have a dear friend cheering you on. Chris says I'm making good progress and can graduate to a cane this week. 

All the while Luci was walking with Jan and playing with Carma and Makken.  We received a package in the mail from Marlene, Carlene's friend, three stuffed animals with squeaky sound effects.  Luci grabbed them as if she knew they were hers.  She sat under the table playing happily with her new toys while Janet and I talked, then she jumped in Janet's lap for kisses.




I spent most of the day in bed, hired a woman named Gina who will help me with housework and shopping and errands until I can walk and drive.  

Luci hopes I will throw her new toys so she can fetch them and bring them back.  I do that for a while, then she decides she will throw them for herself and catch them and make them squeak in every room of the house. 

When the sun goes down, her eyes close and she dreams of catching big scary squeaky things, growling  tiny dreamy growls at her imaginary prey. 

I go back to watching Rose and Maloney, recommended by Betty.  I'm liking it. The ice and pain pills are taking effect and I feel sleep coming on.  

Today has been, all things considered, a very good day. 






No comments: