Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Estrangement

The opposite of engagement:

Today was Luci's grooming day--a shampoo and a trim, even a trim of her very important tail. When I picked her up, she had yellow ribbons attached to her ears with rubber bands, which she deftly removed.  

When Carma came for play time, she refused to play with Luci after one sniff.  The shampoo-scented one persisted,  (Hey, it's me, Luci, your best friend!) pouncing on her and licking her, but still Carma refused to play.  She got behind Jan and hid from this strange creature.

Until the smell wears off and is replaced by familiar Luci smells, they are estranged--so sad!

She's prettier than usual, her fur clean and shiny and the trim making neat.  But looks don't matter in dog world.  

Luci finally gave up and sat in her own chair crestfallen, her ears down, embarrassed I think.  Maybe I'm projecting.  That's how I'd feel if I were estranged from one of my best friends. 



A text from Jan:

On the one hand, Carma’s rejection of the clean and sweet-smelling Luci is kind of amusing.  But on the other hand, Luci’s sad, dejected face tells another story.  Perhaps if you take her for a long, sweaty walk and let her sniff some poop, it’ll restore her allure and they can be friends again …



No comments: