Pages

Sunday, April 30, 2023

A Previous Chapter

In September, 2007, driving to Cape Cod in my first Mini Cooper, I planned to write while enjoying a house-swap right in the middle of the Cape.  The trip was all about the freedom of backroads. 

Even driving off the beaten track, I move to the highways late in the day if motels are scarce. Usually, it's Interstate 10. But in 2007,  I decided to travel I-20--a decision that would lead to a most improbable romance. 

The soundtrack to this trip, in retrospect, is "Those were the days, my friends, I thought they'd never end." I had an Obama sticker on my bumper, Hope and Change. I felt fearless, buoyant, hopeful, and free.  Anything seemed possible.

In Hope, I visited Bill Clinton's home place and bought a souvenir bumper sticker: "A woman's place is in the House--and the Senate." Then I went next door to the visitor's center housed in a former train depot.

Mike and I--the only visitors in the depot-- left there at the same time.  He was attracted to my Cooper and my bumper stickers. (If I had had a wish list for a romance, which I didn't, I could check off "Not- A-Republican.")

I wasn't looking for a man.  I was singing along to Kebmo: "She ain't looking for a lover, she ain't looking for romance, she just wants to dance." But things can change pretty fast on Road Trip Time. 

He gave me his cell number in case I needed any help along the road.  Since we were both heading toward Little Rock, I said something I'd never have said in Ordinary Time: "I'll just follow you." We got next door rooms.  We had barbecue for dinner, danced in a parking lot. 

We were so hopeful and innocent that day, so sky's the limit!  We spent a few days together, dancing on Beale Street in Memphis, exploring The Great Smokeys on his Harley.  I was smitten with this biker  from Georgia. 

What I'd give for a few days like those again!

I'm starting to wish for another road trip adventure.


Some wonderful love stories do not end with Happily Ever Afterwards  Ours had a few bumpy roads.  But for as long as it lasted, we both still recall a magical and unforgettable chapter. 


In 2016, Mike and I returned to Cape Cod and visited Linda and Steve.   Linda recently sent me this picture, reminding me of the weeks we spent in New England--even though we both knew it was probably going to be our last shared road trip. It's bittersweet.  But the story was mostly sweet. 





No comments: