Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Diane Keaton

A friend has invited me to attend the Planned Parenthood luncheon on the 24th of March--I'm so looking forward to hearing Diane Keaton speak there.

I just started her book, Then Again--which I'm liking very much. I see that she's coming out with a new book in April, too.

In this book, she is writing a combination of her mother's memoir (which her mother never actually wrote--but which Diane is gleaning from her mother's 85 journals and letters to Diane's father in the forties) and her own memories.  I'm only about three chapters in, but it's delicious to have a whole day spread out ahead with a book to read that I already know is going to be good.

I called Carlene on my coke run just now and asked her what she was doing.  "Taking the collar off a blouse!" she said.  Carlene's always doing something--either repairing an outfit or hauling things off in a wheelbarrow or taking a trunkful of stuff to Goodwill or going to lunch with her friends.

"If you ever called me and I said I was taking the collar off a blouse, you'd think I'd lost my mind!" I said--which she agreed, yes, she would.  She's always buying blouses and taking the collars off.  It's kind  of a hobby with her, I think. Plus, she doesn't like collars rubbing against her neck.

She'd spent last week with her sister, Dot, three hours south, and they'd been shopping at Kohl's and she found this blouse: $36 with 30% off plus a five dollar coupon or something.  "So it only cost about eleven dollars," she said--she who doesn't actually have to worry about the cost of blouses, but getting a bargain is part of the hunt.

I was telling her about Diane Keaton's book and she's going to download and read it today, too. Diane's mother and mine have a few things in common.  For one, Dorothy and Carlene both taped quotations on the walls of their kitchens.  Until I read the first chapter of this book, I didn't know anyone else ever did that.

So far, I think Dorothy left the collars on her blouses.  I'll read on.  I'll let you know.


No comments: