Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

San Antonio Poet Laureate

Laurie Ann Guerrero, my nominee, my former student, my friend, has just been named Poet Laureate of San Antonio!

After meeting Laurie through her husband David (both students at Palo Alto at the time) I knew she was a firecracker! These past years of watching her leave for Smith College, come back, complete an MFA in poetry, publish and win numerous awards made me certain that she should be the poet laureate, and the committee agreed.

On her invitation to the investiture, she has this quotation from Adrienne Rich: "The moment of change is the only poem."

Ten years ago, Laurie, Promise, Amanda, Nellie and I went to Italy together.  It was to be a writing workshop, but frankly, we did more sightseeing and tasting than we did writing.

To change, to poetry, to Laurie--This is wonderful news!


No comments: