Pages

Friday, November 19, 2021

Progress Report

This is a typical day for me almost six months after knee surgery.  (For some receivers of new knees, it's better than this; for some not as good.)

I can do pretty much anything I want--walk Luci a couple of miles most days, shop, take care of stuff in the house.  But due to persistent pain about the same times every day, my days feel shorter.  

Today started with a walk and doing all my physical therapy exercised prescribed by my new therapist--the one I wish I'd started with months ago.  I go there twice a week and she stretches out my legs to relieve nerve pain.  "You have some angry nerves," she said. 

Then Luci and I went to Tuesday Morning and the UPS store and Whole Foods.  At 11:00 the pain flared and we came home so I could take a pain pill and a nap--during which I'm watching News of the World with Tom Hanks.  

Most of the hard work needed I pay for--like having the porch ceiling painted and the outside "laundry room" painted for the delivery of a new washer and dryer--which are humming along quietly.

It's hard to plan a day ahead because I never know how I'll feel the next day.  If I sleep, I can do most things in the morning and again late afternoon.  If I don't sleep all night, I plan on a two or three hour phone-off in the middle of the day to rest.

I've adopted Carlene's adage: do only one big thing a day.  Tomorrow our writing group online is having a party, so I'll keep the morning easy.  

Almost everyone I know has something going on right now, so we compare notes on ailments and healing strategies.  

For the first time in ages, Nathan and Elena spent the night here this week--which was wonderful.  Will and Bonnie came home from a meeting late and slept in the casita.  I made a simple dinner.  They will be going to Washington for Thanksgiving to see Bonnie's exhibit at the Smithsonian--along with her dad who's never been to Washington before and who's going to be so proud of his Mexican history being celebrated there. 

I have a fabulous family and friends and dog--and overall, good health--so I'm not complaining.  Just giving you all a progress report.  

No comments: