Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Recycling of cool stuff

Luci and spent the morning at thrift shops--the Assistance League, Green Door, and Goodwill.  She loves it as much as I do because she occasionally meets another dog there--like the adorable papillon she met this morning, the first dog she's met who's smaller than she is.  Pippa was a beautiful little black and white puppy. 

At another, she met many people who gave her love.  One was a man who showed me the picture of his beloved pup, a blind dog he'd adopted and named Faith.  His little white terrier-mix had been born with no eyes.  "So she doesn't know anything different," he said.  "She is such a happy dog." The man's friend  showed me pictures of her two chihuahuas and said, "Dog lovers are the best people in the world."  

We saw  the sofa I'd have bought--but the cost of recovering the $25 sofa with great bones was $1600 labor plus 17 yards of fabric.  Solid wood and cat-shredded upholstery, it would have beat most new sofas on the market. 


I bought a glass paper tray for $4.  Solid glass connected with brass screws--it's likely older than I am.  I imagined it might have been used in my mother's typing class in high school.  You can't buy a plastic version for that price.

The artistry in vintage birthday cards often outshines Hallmark--floral and nature designs on the cards and envelopes.  Hallmark's sales overshadowed all other brands when they came up with "When you care enough to send the very best." Recipients of my cards may think I'm a cheap-card-buyer, but I'm calling them the very very best.

I came home with a small stash of cards, the paper tray, and three Simplicity patterns (25 cents each) because I like using the tissue in collages. I didn't have any luck finding the antique clipboards I was looking for--maybe next week. 

We didn't go into Family Thrift but the parking was packed.  "Everything a Dollar" it said on the door. We almost went in, but they only sell clothes and I wasn't in the market for clothes today.  I prefer cards and old office products to hold art supplies. 

In the last few months, I've started recycling my home trash full on.  Instead of two regular trash pick ups a week,  I now have only one full trash bin every two weeks--and half a recycling bin of paper, boxes, and cans every Wednesday.  Whenever possible, Will brings their recycling to add to mine since they don't have recycle pick ups in Helotes. 

It's a small step toward reducing the footprint of one person's life, but it's raised my consciousness about all the plastic and junk that ends up in landfills.  Thrift shops are filled with shoppers looking for treasures and having fun conversations with other shoppers.  Nobody is in a hurry; we're all just leisurely poking around for surprises.  

I also donate to these places--and highly recommend it.  Boysville, Assistance League, and Green Door  are staffed by volunteers and the money from sales helps families and children. It's definitely a win-win all around when your trash becomes somebody else's treasure. 





No comments: