Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2022

Saturday in San Antonio

Luci and I started this Saturday walking familiar streets on an art walk, seeing what local artists are making-- jewelry, pens, scarves, pottery, and paintings.  

Luci likes making, too--making friends with people and dogs. She wanted to romp with every dog she met.  She soaked up the attention of humans who gave her treats. 

I wore my Beto earrings in a neighborhood filled with Beto signs.  Even the postman called out, "Love your earrings!" 

After that, I spray painted a shelf and five little Altoid boxes for backing my spirit dolls.  I chose some faces and embellishments and laid everything out on the table for tomorrow morning's assembly.   

My day always shifts when my feet stop wanting to do foot things, and I sat on the porch and read chapters in a novel.  

So then it gets dark and I look for a movie.  Tonight's choices were two documentaries by Alexandra Pelosi (Nancy Pelosi's daughter): one about Ted Haggard's falling from church grace when it was discovered that he was having sex with men and buying drugs; the other about Pelosi's 2006 road trip getting to know Ted Haggard (before his fall) and other evangelicals in mega-churches.  

If you want to see how America ever got a Trump, these films are worth seeing.   The huge coalition of evangelicals shun science ("no evolution!"); consider themselves "pro life," believe in procreating to build up their tribe. They like Confederate flags, Christian billboards, and huge crosses.  And they don't want anyone messing with their guns.  

 .  



No comments: