Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve 2022

Jan just sent me this, said it reminded her of me.  I wonder why?


For almost two years, Luci has been everywhere with me, as you know.  I've met such kind people in grocery stories, craft stores, Lowe's, and thrift shops, dog lovers everywhere.  Central Market has been one of our favorite outings--and that counts for a lot right now. 

Last week, I was accosted by a security guard.  Well, to be honest, I was first asked if she was a service dog and I didn't lie.  I now know that there are certain instances in which a white lie might be forgiven in the big picture of things, but in the moment, feeling secure in my favorite grocery store and being in the middle of a conversation with a dog walker from Columbia, I went with my natural instinct to tell the literal truth. 

But then he got preachy and followed me to the check-out to be sure I left. 

Some workers know Luci by name.  Just last week, a woman who rescues dogs said how nice it is to see a dog in a store, "like at home in France. There, dogs go to restaurants and grocery stores all the time."

So I was taken by complete surprise when I was lectured in the middle of a pleasant encounter with the sweet Columbian woman who wants me come to her house for Columbian soup.  Until the run-in with the security guard, it had been a  "happiness is a warm puppy" kind of day.  I was so angry I cried in the car, but only until I got home, resolved to do what I can to make her officially what she already is unofficially, my support dog. 

I texted one of the docs I've been seeing about my feet, asking if he felt comfortable writing a letter attesting to her status as a service dog. Without hesitation, he said yes and a letter arrived in my inbox the next day!  

When I first took her to Central Market two years ago, I asked first.  "Sure, she's welcome!" one of the checkers told me. "We aren't allowed to ask."

Apparently the guard didn't get the memo.  

I remembered a kindness in Biloxi in September. Later than I usually stop for dinner and a bed, I was exhausted enough to ask the manager of a Waffle House if I could bring Luci in.  "Of course," he said, winking.  "I can tell she's a service dog.  Wherever you go, just tell 'em she's a service dog and they can't do a thing."

So now, just in time for Christmas, I have a service dog!  




No comments: