Pages

Sunday, March 5, 2023

"Quivering With Anticipatory Delight"

When I was a young Sadie Sadie Married Lady, late 60s, my then-husband was doing his four year Air Force stint, stationed at Lackland, right here in River City.  San Antonio was intended as a temporary home, yet here we both still are all these years later, though not together.

One of our best friends was a 25-year-old bachelor named Frank, a colleague of my ex's at SAC. On weekends we rode motorcycles and  threw frisbees to Tony--on land and into water--and the dog retrieved every time.  (The same game applied with sticks and stones) 

Holding aloft the object to be thrown would make Tony "quiver with anticipatory delight."--one of the many impressive phrases Frank coined. 

I've always mis-remembered that I was at Frank and Joy's wedding. Recently Joy kindly corrected me, reminding me that it wasn't their wedding at all!  Turns out, I had forgotten that Frank was briefly married to someone else before he met Joy.  After this many years, I can't always count on the accuracy of my memories! 

It's wonderful to have friends who remember the same decades as we do (however smudged together), all the way back to the decade when we were all twenty-something.  

When I see that emotion in Luci waiting for Freda or welcoming me home after a long absence, I think what a perfect phrase Frank invented. 

Whatever our ages, breeds, or anything else, I hope we all have things that make us quiver in joyful anticipation of something up ahead!




No comments: