Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2023

The Gifts of Age

After watching Mission Joy on Netflix, I found some excellent You Tube videos in the search for "Dalai Lama and Demond Tutu"-- some of which included other teachers in various spiritual traditions: Buddhist teacher Joan Halifax, Rabbi Rosen, Pastor Rob Bell, Sister Joan Chittister, and others. Carlene watched them all and we're enjoying talking about them. 

I ordered The Gift of Age by Joan Chittister for Carlene. It arrived last night and she was on page 100 by the time we talked this morning at 7:30.  

Here's her text:

Being so engrossed in this book a hundred pages in has so captured me that when I started to stand up I didn’t realize my right foot had been taking a nap …. So reminded me of something to be careful about in the midst of being free as a bird to get back on the bike and finish a morning ride on a sunny porch …. And touch eternity - sunrise or sunset - all is well!!

As Luci and I walked, I called Carlene and she said she couldn't put the book down.  She rides her stationary bike on the porch for twenty minutes, reads, goes for short walks, rocks on her porch and listens to music.  When friends come to visit, she treats them to lunch or dinner at a restaurant because she's "given up cooking."  She cooks for herself, simple healthy meals, and she loves graham crackers and fruit.  She'll be 98 in August, and she's remarkable!  

I haven't read the book, but I'd say whatever Carlene's been doing all these years has contributed to the bounty of gifts of aging that we all hope for! 



No comments: