Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Post-script

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it0hR5cpHLg


After watching the documentary mentioned in the previous post, I've found this amazing video that continues the themes of compassion, forgiveness of self and others, and peace in a fractured world.  

This is an extended conversation with the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Tutu, filmed 8 years ago in Seattle, with questions and answers by children, middle-aged people, old people of many different traditions--including Rabbi Rosen, a Catholic nun, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists....

I have silenced my phone and decided that this is what I want to spend my morning doing--before Freda and I go to a rodeo this afternoon.  

Through the incredible gift of videographers and conference organizers, we get to see and hear the wisdom of these wise people talking to children present and people of all ages who can access this incredible conference.  

Young people in the room ask and sometimes answer the questions of others:

How do I forgive myself for something I've done?

How do I move on after tragedy?

Who and what inspired you and opened your heart when you were younger?

How can I transform my anger?

What strikes me as profound is the similarity of viewpoints of wise teachers of all traditions.  We see in today's America such posturing: I/we are right; we have the answers; we should ban and banish words and people who are not like us.  There are radicals in all faith traditions who mistreat other people in the name of their religious teachings.  

The conversations in this video are refreshing and radical in a far different way--they go to the root of the timeless truths.

"Love is not a luxury; it's a necessity.  It can save the world." 




No comments: