Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Last night I watched the first episode of the new season of Call the Midwives on PBS.  The entire season isn't streaming yet; the first episode is a sneak preview.  It made me cry, of course.  Every episode makes me cry--heartbreaking situations and the warmth of human compassion.

The first episode features a leader of Parliament stirring racial hatred among the people of Poplar, timeless and universal, unfortunately.  Immigrants from other countries who've made a life in England are frightened. A  Jamaican nurse is homesick for her family and home there.  A pregnant woman with four or five children has no money for a dentist.  Workers march with placards denigrating "people who don't belong here  taking our jobs." 

Another thing that made me teary yesterday:

A man wanted to pet Luci in the grocery store.  He told me he thinks she's part Corgi.  "We've had seven Corgis," he said, "The best dogs in the world, we think.  I recently lost my wife and the two dogs left are hers.  It's like having my wife with me and it's what keeps me alive." 


No comments: