Pages

Friday, February 17, 2023

Generosity

This week's email writing group's prompt was generosity, given and received. 

Jan' wrote about implementing an idea she had shared with me on the porch one day.

She has asked all her family members to stop giving her presents forevermore and, instead, to perform acts of kindness in the world and write and tell her about it.  

The first adult grandchild to respond to the request wrote this after he received Jan's annual handmade Valentine's Day card:

"Grandma Jan thank you so much for the card! I look forward to it every year. I wanted to report to you some kind things I’d done recently as per your request. There are a lot of homeless people in New York City and I’d always felt a strange connection to the homeless. I’ve had many memorable interactions with them in San Antonio, Austin, and Chicago. But my exposure to them has been pretty constant here and over the past two weeks I’ve bought someone menstrual care supplies, another person a sandwich and coffee, and gave out about $10 in cash to different people."

This is an amazing response to a request from Grandma Jan! 

I predict that this inspiration will stay with these kids for years and some of them will pass these along to their future children.   I hope it goes viral! 



No comments: