Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Tell Me More

 KLRN is for me--as probably for many of you-- my go-to station.  I often wonder what we would do without public television and National Public Radio.  No yelling or pontificating or interrupting, these stations bring voices to the table that are quietly powerful. 

I've just discovered Season 6 of "Tell Me More"--wonderful interviews by the writer, Kelly Corrigan.  I love her interviewing techniques and the ways she makes her subjects feel seen and heard.  

Today I watched her interview with David Brooks, the journalist, former Republican, scholar and writer of the new book, How To Know A Person.

What are the three things every human being needs most? she asks.

Here are his answers:

A sense of dignity, of mattering.

A container, a tribe, trusted people.

Movement--knowing that you are "going somewhere," not just marking time.

My takeaway is that Kelly Corrigan's style of questioning gives the interviewee all three, and her intentional and active listener provides a space to reflect on their mattering, the people they trust, and where they are going. 

Now I'm beginning her interview with a pain scientist, Dr. Rachel Zoffness.  

Check it out if you don't know this show already.  You'll get to know some remarkable and interesting people, and you'll see an extraordinary interviewer at work.  


No comments: