Pages

Friday, April 26, 2024

A few glitches

As you all know, I regard this little house as my canvas, and I love the new colors for a change.  

But there are problems, as often happens with even the best contractors.  The problems are built in to a house this old--door frames are not square, the windows are those old casement windows.  I had hoped to keep the four main windows, but the man who glazed them (recommended by the contractor but not part of his team)  made a mess of the glazing. 



 I have one more trick up my window sleeve.  I'm going to find a man I know of who specializes in these old windows.  If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to get new windows--and at the moment, the thought of another big project is daunting.

Two new doors were installed, as I requested, but apparently, the measurements were off on one (there's a big gap under the door that I stuffed with cardboard last night).  The other door was installed in a wonky frame--so the gaps are on the side.




The twinkle lights around the porch edge were destroyed as was my garden hose.  So I've spent the morning at Lowe's getting a fan with a light and a new hose. 


If I had the skills to do the exterior work, I have a few ideas--like shimming the door to match the gaps, but I just made that up.  Stuffing cardboard under the door is a temporary solution for one--as the gap is big enough that mice could come right in, not to mention roaches and other small critters. 

I'm thinking nostalgically about Mike and Bob, two former boyfriends who are no longer here.   Bob used to say, "If I can't fix it, it's not broken."  Mike could figure out how to fix anything!  A project is not complete until the details are done right. 

If my house is a mirror of myself today, think deflated, discouraged, exhausted.  I'm going to take a nap and start over!



No comments: