Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Getting from Here to There



Suitcases are intriguing!  Old battered suitcases, duffel bags, wooden trunks.  A friend once told me that her grandson, when he was little, got one for Christmas and said, "Yay!  A bringer!"



Renee wrote an evocative piece last night at group about the thing she imagined her grandmother bringing  to the United States as an immigrant from Russia.  How terrifying it must be to leave one's home and language and pack for long voyages, carrying only the basics for starting a new life!  Suitcases carry dreams, memories, and imagination.



Last year, I gave Carlene a purple suitcase for Christmas.  I ordered it from Amazon and had it delivered, so I never actually saw it until she packed it and brought it here for the following visit.

It was huge!  I could picture her walking through the Atlanta airport wheeling that enormous suitcase and it wasn't quite what I had in mind.  I ordered her another one this year and have already sent it to her for her trip to Texas on Monday.  It's more compact, purple and turquoise with spinner wheels.



Liking suitcases as I do, I ordered a set for Elena's sixth birthday--a wheeled ladybug suitcase with a matching backpack.





Then I started looking online for a book about a girl with suitcases (to pack in the ladybug)--and there was nothing there for a girl her age.  Someone should write one!  (We already have a good one about a boy bear.)




No comments: