Pages

Monday, February 22, 2021

Compassion and Empathy

Watching President Biden's address to the nation as we have almost reached 501,000 deaths from COVID 19, I feel that he's so right for the White House. 

After four years of lies and accusations of "hoaxes" and other conspiracy theories and a clear goading of his people to invade the capitol on January 6th, we now have a President with empathy and compassion, finally a man who is addressing the  thousands who have lost mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters,  friends and children.  

Peggy, my neighbor, texted me a link and made it possible for me to get on the list for vaccines at the beginning of January.  Many of my friends have had to try for hours to get on the list.  Now Peggy's young friend Lesha is helping people she doesn't know get on the list--including friends of mine and friends of my friends.  With so much self-interest in the world, it's wonderful to see a woman make it easier for people to get vaccinated! 

Jan has shared with me many slices of homemade bread and cornbread, bowls of soup, birthday cake.  Neighbors across the street brought in my pots of succulents.  Neighbors one street over turned off my water when a pipe burst.  Tony, my plumber, booked for a week, made time to help Kate and me when we had plumbing issues.  

Compassion and empathy have always been here in families and neighborhoods, but it seems we're all making a more conscious effort to reach out to help each other as we pull out of the muck of the last four years.  As I watched the memorial today, I felt that we're breathing deeply again and getting a chance to remember who we are and want to be, people who care about each other. 


No comments: