Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2022

Traveling Solo Again--with books for company.

This week, I'm flying to visit Day's family in Virginia for five days.  While I'd prefer to be driving with Luci and a human road trip companion, I chose to fly this trip. 

Driving gives much closer-up looks and tastes of The South. I so enjoy meeting strangers and tasting the foods in small towns along the way.  Having recently read  South to America,  an excellent book I mentioned earlier, I would like to see the places mentioned in the book with a greater awareness of the history and culture: Montgomery, Memphis, the Mississippi Delta, Natchez, and more.



I'm re-reading this morning the chapter "When Beale Street Talks"--a street where I walked on air one night and had a memorable dance.  We saw the room and balcony of the Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King, Jr., spent his last night and was assassinated.  This book is so layered in history, so well-researched, that I'd like to visit these places again after reading Imani Perry.  

I'm saving a new book Bob sent me for my flights: The Potlikker Papers.  If you know what potlikker is, you're a real Southerner.   


The other book I'm taking is The Trouble With Sheep and Goats--recommended highly by Jan.





No comments: