Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

Woo-Hoo, Nellie!

Nellie is a professional artist and retired art professor.  She was the one who first inspired me to do collage and I'm always intrigued by her work.

We both love the work and classes of Lyn Belisle.  Since Lyn lives in San Antonio, I've been lucky enough to take two of her in-person classes.  But her online classes are equally wonderful.  She's generous and precise in her instructions and even a novice like me can can follow along and make good stuff.

Before I left on my trip, both Nellie and I signed up for Lyn's class, The Secrets of Spirit Boxes.  This is a photo of a Cloth, Paper, Scissors magazine featuring her work and an article she wrote about spirit boxes.  


While I've only gotten through the first three lessons, Nellie has made several--and she gave me permission to post these photos:


As you can see, she's made clay faces and adorned her pieces with sticks and clay and handmade papers.  

Here is a close up of one of them--spectacular!


The "secret" in the title refers to the fact that each doll is backed with an altered Altoids box to hold secrets messages or gifts or whatever.

I'm inspired by Nellie's dolls.  As soon as I get properly unpacked and wash the car and the dog, I am going to get started.  


No comments: