Pages

Saturday, July 22, 2023

Brutal Texas Summer 2023

 This must be the hottest summer on the planet ever! 

Even though the Spelling Bee folks at NYT proclaim me a "genius" (I love that game!) I am not. At 4:00 today, after a nap, I did something stupid.

I got in the car thinking I'd go get a foot massage and pedicure.  The temperature gauge on my car said 114, but it soon cooled off to 112 since Jackson changed my AC filter.  By the time I got to the salon it was 110 and I was feeling queasy and a tad nauseated, so I came home in my same old feet, no polish, no massage.  Walking on pavement, even in shoes, is intolerable. 

The heat rises in brutal waves to meet you and wraps around your skin.   News reports people going to burn centers after falls--needing skin grafts and surgery.  Pet's feet are scorched.  I carry Luci if we go anywhere after 10:00 when it's triple digits.  But we hardly leave the house after ten.  Today's foray was a reminder why.

We're all so lethargic and heat-averse that friends rarely visit each other.  

I have decided to spend next summer in a cooler climate.  Now, that's a genius idea!  


No comments: