Pages

Saturday, June 1, 2024

Music Medicine

Since Nathan was a freshman, I've seen his outstanding band play at football games, Fiesta's Battle of the Bands, and competitions. 

Their choreography is impressive, the music wonderful. I always wonder how a band director can take in newbies, teach them to play their instruments, and blend the newbies in with the older students, and actually produce music for the first football game of the season.  Band camp takes up much of their summers, and by the opening of school, they are a kind of school family.

First year, I noticed that Nathan and an adorable girl, both front row in percussion, were grooving to the music exactly the same.  Over their heads you could see a cartoon bubble, filled with tiny sparks, not words.  Her name, Elena told me, was Ava. 

I've watched them at their drums and marimbas and cymbals over the years.  Now Ava is a senior and Nathan a junior and they went to the senior prom together--proving I didn't imagine that bubble of sparks. 

Wednesday night's percussion concert was extraordinary and even more enjoyable than whole-band performances.  I'd had a ragged day, but within minutes, I was transported into music and rhythm, totally engaged, forgetting what had derailed me earlier in the day.

The percussion teacher opened with some heart-felt and funny commentary about how proud he was of his kids.  And then, a girl moved to the front of the closed curtain and played a mesmerizing marimba solo .

The curtain opened and an ensemble played, and this pattern continued for over two hours--solo, ensemble, solo, ensemble.  

If I'd seen this teacher on the street, I'd never have figured he was a musician  Dressed in a plain brown suit,  he didn't look the part.  But when his kids played, and when he told story after story about them during the breaks, you could feel then magic between teacher and kids. 

He told us about the ones who, instead of leaving campus for lunch, stayed in the band room to practice.  About the awards they'd won.  About the senior who plays with YOSA, the Youth Orchestra of San Antonio.  

It was clear that the percussionists love that teacher and vice versa.  

At the end, he introduced all his graduating seniors, telling us about their contributions to the band. When he called Ava's name, she ran from the back of the stage to the front, arms up, smiling--a genuine rock star! 

Music is medicine.  It takes us places way beyond everyday worries.     

On my long drive home, Fresh Air was on the radio.  Just a few lines in to the interview, I recognized the man being interviewed, the famous cellist Yo Yo Ma. Not only did his interview round out my night of music, but the two back to back made me resolve to find more spaces in my life that music could fill. 

No comments: