Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Curiosity and Asking Questions

Christmas was coming, and I thought I might knit a sweater for my boyfriend.  I'd never knitted a sweater before (and haven't attempted one since)  but I'd seen directions for one in Seventeen or somewhere--and such an enterprise was touted as an excellent one for a girl to endeavor for the man she loved.

"My favorite color is blue," I said.  "What's yours?"

"That's a ridiculous question," he responded.  "Do you like blue food?"

Point taken.  No, I didn't (and still don't) like blue food.  I actually couldn't think of any food that came in blue.

But the takeaway was that I--a mere high school girl talking to a graduate student, a supposed expert in art--was no good at asking questions.  We dropped the subject, then I proceeded to knit him a sweater, red I think.

The sweater turned out large enough for a giant and I never gave it to him, but I did marry him shortly thereafter, believing for many years that I had married a genius and that in time I'd be worthy of such a brilliant man.  If.  If I got a college education.  If I kept my stupid questions to myself.  If, if, if….

Our conversations continued along this pattern for years, and I was the eternal acolyte.  Until.  Until I went to graduate school and partook of my own question-asking outside the house.

"You ask great questions," a professor told me one day. At long last, I regained my passion for asking questions, little and big, smart and otherwise.  Curiosity, I think, is a motivator for the kind of travel you can do anywhere.

No comments: