Pages

Saturday, December 7, 2013

Private Life by Jane Smiley

I bought a novel at the Steinbeck Center by Jane Smiley, though I wondered at the time why it was for sale there.  Most of the books were by and about Steinbeck.

As it turns out, the book (the section I'm reading today) is set in Vallejo, California--not far from where I stayed in El Cerrito, and only 31 miles from San Francisco.

It made me wish I had read the novel before my trip--as it's always a thrill to see a place you've read about, to see it through both my own eyes and the eyes of the writer.

I so often return to those days on the road, remembering the beautiful landscapes of the west coast, the ocean, the vineyards, the mountains.  The days had a magical quality to them, as I meandered roads in the Mini and stopped in little towns and shops and bakeries and book stores.

Happy holidays to all my new California friends who are--by all accounts--experiencing the same winter weather we're having here in San Antonio!


No comments: