Pages

Friday, October 26, 2018

Friday, October 26



Well, I did it--I turned 70!

Betty and I spent my actual birthday in Chadwick and Brewster on Cape Cod, eating New England seafood and key lime pie, visiting with the Kots and meeting their adorable grand baby, Sage.

We traveled over 4000 miles, from Georgia to as far north as Maine--and here we are( above) walking a path in Little Washington, Virginia, where we looked at llamas and goats and chickens and an outdoor tree made of circles of mirrors.  We traveled on curvy mountain roads, looked at yard art scarecrows and pumpkins, photographed loaded Monday clotheslines in Amish country, and got lost only a couple of times--which we blamed on Our Lady of GPS.

One of the most delightful discoveries of the trip for me was due to a minor SNAFU on Google Maps that led us wrongly--and oh so rightly--into the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts.  We'd been a little late for peak foliage in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine--but we got some brief and breathtaking amazements on Highway 23.








This journey has been a wonderful way to celebrate the ending of one decade and the beginning of another.  I'm here at Carlene's for almost a week before we head back to Texas.

Driving never bores me, but that many miles does require a bit of a rest before cranking up again--and that's exactly what we plan to do with this cool and rainy Friday in Georgia.

Here, some of my favorite lines from Mary Oliver:






No comments: