Pages

Monday, August 16, 2021

Belinda

We all leave breadcrumbs along the trails for other people--as other people leave them for us.  An act of kindness or generosity or something related to our work--we rarely remember the things that make a difference to those who pick up our breadcrumbs. 

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to try a different kind of physical therapy--myofascial release therapy. 

The therapist, Belinda, gave me the best treatment I've had since surgery.   Instead of feeling sore and achey, I felt pain-free and energetic for a couple of days.

Under 43 years of aging, we recognized each other--she'd been a student in my 6th grade English class when I was teaching at Horace Mann Middle School! 

She moved my legs in great big circles and said, "You have wonderful range of motion in your hips."

"Who me?" I said--as if someone else were in the room.  I'm accustomed to the regular physical therapists being unimpressed with my movements and my progress and here she was using the word "wonderful" in regard to my motion?

Just as I was making mental notes of all the things she was teaching me that no one else had even mentioned, she said, "You were my best teacher ever.  You inspired me to write, to be creative.  I still have what I wrote in 6th grade." 

We both had tears in our eyes.  The tables were turned--Belinda my  teacher.    



No comments: