Pages

Friday, August 6, 2021

Vegetables on paper

I've always loved the shapes, colors, and textures of vegetables.  In my more artsy past, I enjoyed playing with them as rubber stamps and subjects of photography.  In my more cookery past, I even enjoyed slicing them, sautéing them, and roasting them. 

Just read a post by Austin Kleon about printing on paper with vegetables.  It reminded me of vegetables and it reminded me of printing--two things I've not been closely acquainted with these past few months. 




Printing with vegetables is easier than cooking.  Just slice an onion, garlic, or pepper, anything you like, use it as a rubber stamp, and voila!

I've discovered Blake brand chicken pot pie, organic and delicious, and it includes a few peas and carrots and potatoes.  Central Market has so many good meal options for one--usually involving nothing but heating and eating--that I rarely (as in can't remember the last time) do actual cooking. 

I was a pretty good cook when my children were growing up, and tried new recipes almost every night.  But even then, the most pleasure  with vegetables was aesthetic.  I'll never forget little-boy Will asking, when he came home from school one day and saw an assortment of bagels and tomatoes on the counter, "Hey Mom, are these to eat or take pictures of?"




No comments: