Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2021

School Starts

Today was launch day for millions of our grandchildren.  My oldest and youngest were among them.

Jackson drove last night to a house he's sharing with three friends in Richmond to begin his sophomore year at VCU.  Twenty in October he's raring to start on-site college along with so many classmates who missed a real high school graduation in 2020 and spent their first college year studying at home. 

Driving out the driveway--for him, the happy beginning of a whole new chapter; for his mama and daddy and brother, not so much.  Leaving day is always hard!



Meanwhile, Elena is starting 4th grade with Meet The Teacher Night in Helotes--the elementary school of her dad and Aunt Day.  Ten in January, she's taking dance and riding rodeo Saturday night in Bandera. This girl loves school and I hope she'll be inspired in this colorful classroom!


I worry about children, especially in a state where Texas Governor Wimp-O has COVID (and is getting the best treatment politics can buy) but still won't back down on his refusal to allow a mask mandate for children too young to get vaccinated. 

Even while I'm doing other things, worry whirs around in the back of my mind.  Day (academic coach at Marcus' high school) and all four of my grandchildren will be back in classrooms and hallways this year, and it's hard to not worry.

Nathan begins high school as a drummer in the band and Marcus returns for his junior year writing for the school newspaper.  

Remembering my own back-to-school years--as a student and a teacher--I know that it's an exciting time.  I'm trying to replace worry with hope that it will be a really good year for all our kids and grands.  



No comments: