Pages

Friday, October 29, 2021


Two universes mosey

down the street

Connected by love and 

a leash and nothing else

Howard Nemerov


The book I'm taking on my flight today, a birthday present from Bob and Jocelyn, is called The Book of Dog Poems, a compilation by Sarah Maycock and Ann Sampson.

Yesterday in Whole Foods, a customer squatted on the floor and took pictures of Luci.  "I'm sending this to my son," she said.  "We send each other pictures of dogs we fall in love with." 

Luci is not what you'd call a classic canine beauty.  She's scruffy, one ear up, one ear down, not a dog show candidate by any stretch, but she's a show-stopper in grocery stores, hardware stores, McDonald's windows, or anywhere dog lovers happen to be.  

Reading these poems, written over the centuries, is a reminder that dogs of all eras have been loved by their masters and are uniquely wonderful companions.  I'd be happy to walk all over with Luci without a leash to connect us--if she were properly obedient and if we didn't have so many cars in the neighborhood--but a leash is necessary for a fast-running pup.

A neighbor just came to bring banana bread and Luci gave an awesome bark when she heard him at the door.  There is no bite to back up the bark, but she's doing her part.  

Will is coming in a few minutes for breakfast and will take Luci to his house for the days I'll be in Georgia with. my "bookends," as Betty calls them--my mother and my daughter, for a few glorious days in the North Georgia mountains.  

No comments: