Pages

Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday Fun and Finds

Recently Jan was visiting the casita and saw a pan Day had bought me in Virginia this year.  She saw me eyeing it--though I had no idea what it was used for--and it was my souvenir of our antiques day.

"So, I see you have an aebleskiver pan!" Jan said.

"A what?" 

So she told me about the intended use of the pan: making Swiss sweets called aebleskivers.  She looked up the recipe she and a friend had used to serve a party of twenty people.  

This morning, Jan was making aebleskiver for a friend who's sick and for our neighbors. At 7 o'clock, she texted me that she'd made a bowl of batter (yeast, flour and canned milk) and that it would take two hours to rise; could I come at 9 with my pan and have an impromptu aebleskiver party? 

It was a pretty involved process, buttering each circle and pouring batter in, over and over. Her pan was cast iron and worked better than my aluminum one, but we managed to create a plate full of them--served with raspberry preserves--and she was ready to begin her deliveries. 




She also took a picture of the novice cook next door cooking in a pan formerly used to hold paper clips and tapes. 


I bought a few matted covers for 1940s and 50's Good Housekeeping magazines at the Green Door.   The one at the bottom is October 1948, my birthday month and year. The one showing a girl decorating a table is October 1951, the month and year my brother Bob was born. 








No comments: