Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Handmade Book Club

I got an email last week inviting me to join a five day challenge in making small books.  If any of you are  interested in making books and learning watercolor techniques, this class is the best bargain ever and I'm pretty sure you can still join if you go to their website.

The class costs a whopping $10 and is packed with inspiration and ideas and techniques:

Taught by five guest book-makers, you get a lesson every day (and keep them for life) on folding beautiful paper to make accordion books.  I have learned more in the first three days than in most online classes I have taken.  Maybe this is actually my favorite ever.

In addition, they have a Zoom meeting every day and a private Facebook group.  I wasn't able to watch the Zooms in real time, but they are recorded--so I'm watching them tonight. On the Facebook group, you get to see what other students are making and some of them are absolutely incredible.  I have cut and folded my first book but haven't yet added colors--so that's my goal for the weekend. 

I don't usually rave about a single class--but I'm raving.  Techniques used in this class are applicable to all kinds of mixed media projects and so far every teacher has been terrific.

The artist of the day's class is featured on the Zoom meeting.  Kat Kirby--whom I really liked--leads classes all over the world, and I'm starting to imagine a workshop with her in Portugal!

She also has a You Tube channel I'm subscribing to for various videos.

What I love about this class, too, is that it is such a wonderful antidote to the heat!  I have plenty of art supplies, so all I needed were a couple of large pieces of Stonehenge paper at Jerry's Art O'Rama.  

So if you're interested in some fun art projects this summer, do check it out and see if you can join even though the class has already started. 

Handmade Book Club



No comments: