Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2024

A Different Road, A Change of Scenery

For several months, I have begun every day at the New York Times. I'd scan the news, then move right on to the word games.  

While I enjoyed the games, they activated my obsessiveness and gobbled up countless hours. So I decided to do my version of  joining Word Gamers Anonymous and admit that I was an addict. I canceled my subscription entirely, even the news--thereby also banishing print reminders that there is Trump in the world. 

What I'm doing instead is re-joining the Handmade Book Club. We're doing a challenge this week that sends us classes and zoom links every day.  Ali Manning is an excellent teacher if you like learning everything there is to know about creating and binding books--which I do.

I also found inspiration in a gift from Nellie that arrived in the mail yesterday--a beautiful tiny book about hummingbirds.  I'll ask her if I can photograph and share it with you in a later post.

Sometimes it's revitalizing to abandon some things to make space for others.  Here it is two in the morning, and I'm stacking paper and getting ready for a few days of cutting and gluing, punching and stitching.  

The Handmade Book Club  is only open to new members four times a year, and the challenge is the time to join.  For $25 a month, members have access to a tremendous archive of classes, some taught by Ali, some by guest bookmakers. 

No comments: