Pages

Friday, March 1, 2024

Meandering on a March morning

According to expert dog trainers like Cesar Milan, I break all the rules Dog Mamas should observe. I am not the Alpha around here; I've never been stellar at Alpha.  

For Luci, a walk is not a Walk Walk, it's' a Meander.  We are so slow no other dog walkers would care to walk with us.  Luci stops to savor the scents of whatever interests her.  Poles, fire hydrants, flowers--I never know what's going to set off her doggie nose and send her into a few moments of sensory delight. She was born knowing it's good to "stop and smell the roses."

She glances at big dogs with mild curiosity and caution. When she sees little dogs like herself, she whimpers with excitement and pulls the leash forward for a sniff and a greeting.   

This morning she and Marfa were mutually thrilled to see each other, tails wagging and both bounding happily in the direction of the other like old friends.  How do dogs know which dogs they want to get to know?  Marfa is a mid-sized mix of blue heeler and border collie twice Luci's size, but the vibe must have been right for a potential friendship.

When Luci takes the lead, I meet so many people.  I liked Marfa's dog mama, Riley as much as Luci liked Marfa.

Then we chatted with another neighbor, mama of Louie, and she mentioned she was off to vote.  Turned out we were on exactly the same page, politically.  The dogs don't care either way, but we're planning to celebrate together if our party wins. 

At intersections, Luci has started protesting the direction I had in mind and pulls in another direction.   We go her way.  

We walk past lots of houses with Alamo Heights High School mules and signs, announcing the sports the kids play or the instrument in band.  A new-to-me house this morning has a cement Christian saint in its yard along with two faded flamingos.  Next door, a garden Buddha and a "stop gun violence" sign.  Across the street, two giant lemon yellow bunny rabbits in the window and a big felt shamrock on the door. 

As we walk, I think about Cosette, Mia, Val and Leo.

It's because they enrich our lives in so many ways that it's so terribly sad to say good-bye.  I can't even think about that day coming and I hope it's way far away.  For now,  I savor all the moments I have with this tiny little being who's my constant companion.  




No comments: