Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Seeking Suggestions

My ex-husband and I, along with our children and their children, are on an ongoing group text.

The way it works is that travel photos and good news are shared.  My Ex and I were raised in bygone days, and we both tend to write, "So proud of you!" or "Beautiful pictures!" or "Way to go!" 

We two ancient people rarely post news of our own, we're more like the background choir.  

So this week, I posted pictures of my new car.  Day and Will always and Tom and Bonnie sometimes  respond with a heart or a thumbs up, sometimes a word or two.  But beyond those.  it's usually crickets.

I'm not exactly pouting about being ignored, but I'm asking you, my friends, to let me know if this is a generational thing--not to respond to texts.  

Two of my grandchildren respond to my texts if they are written to them separately.  Two do not. 

One of my grandchildren who doesn't respond called me last week and we talked for over an hour about his ideas for dealing with chronic pain!  As a big time workout dude, he had a few interesting ideas and I will never forget the kindness of his reaching out, adult to adult, with his suggestions. 

My granddaughter actually Face Times me to share secrets--treasured conversations that mean the world to me!  When I see her name on my screen, I know it's going to be the best thing that's happened all day. 

So what's up with the Group Text silence when I post something that matters to me?  Clearly, these are caring sweet loving kids who would--if I told them in person--show some happiness.  

Many things in this digital age are easy to the Generation Zs in this group--like Snap Chat and Instagram and all the other apps I don't recognize..  Maybe texting is passe? (see I don't even know how to put an accent mark over the e in passe! and spell check wants me to say paste!)

But we're trying--we old-timers!  We can do the basic texts and emails and we play along as best we can.  We congratulate them on their wins, we wish them well, we are crazy about them. 

But we didn't get the memo when text etiquette changed.  We know they all have smart phones within reach 24/7--but I guess they have fatter fish to fry these days.  I feel like posting this morning: "Hey, thank you all for your enthusiasm about my new car!" Or: "Looks like my text from last week didn't go through--so here it is again!" 

My Ex, of course, didn't bother to tap back a thumbs up on my news, but I didn't expect him to.  I spent almost half my life with him and he (even though he has mellowed quite a bit in his old age) has never been keen on my news.

But if anyone has any ideas on what to do with un-answered notes from Generation Z (aka Zoomers) please share!  Without some suggestions, I may resort to....well, saying catty shit to get their attention!




No comments: