Pages

Friday, July 29, 2022

Inside the Books

Last night I sat in on my first Zoom art meeting while eating leftover steak and squash, Luci on my lap.

After discussions with the teacher of the day (they do one of these hour-long meetings every day), several students show the books they've made.  

Here's a lovely thing I noticed: most of the student artists looked, on first glance, like poster childs  of "little old ladies." One was wearing a nightgown and sitting in a rumpled bed; another had trouble getting out of her leather lounge chair; no one was wearing make up or dressed up for the occasion. A few had to be reminded, "Unmute yourself."  They were, for the most part, as technically inept at Zoom as I'd have been if I'd been called on to speak. 

But then they brought out what they had made for the day of the Five Day Challenge.  From rooms all over the country (and other countries), they had created spectacular little books, each one unique, lively, colorful.  When they spoke about their art projects, their enthusiasm transformed them into vibrant women with bright happy eyes and youthful voices!   Some of their books were so unique and striking I took screen shots for inspiration.



I thought of the adage, "You can't judge a book by its cover!" These women--ones you'd barely notice in a waiting room--came to life when they talked about their use of watercolor and collage, ribbons and buttons. Their faces looked decades younger when they showed the hundreds of us in the Zoom room what they'd made.  

From spare bedrooms to kitchens to actual studios, these women were amazing.  Their attire and house decor might have been dowdy, but their imaginations were full of color and fire. 

From now on, I'm going to be noticing more the old people I see in waiting rooms.  I'll be wondering what's under those unremarkable covers--the walkers and canes and plain-Jane clothes.  I might even ask them, "So what's your creative project?  What are your passions?  What are the things that make you forget your aches and pains and your age?" 



No comments: