Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2022

Man or Men in neon green

A strange phenomenon in our neighborhood--either one man or several riding bikes in neon green t-shirts.  I won't explain.  Jan's wonderful response to my query follows:


There he goes again, riding past my house,

The fat guy in a neon green shirt

Perilously perched aloft an old-fashioned kid’s bicycle.

 

‘Round and around he goes,

By morning and by evening,

When it’s cool enough and the spirit beckons.

 

He nods and gives me a fleeting wave,

Then grabs his handlebar to avert careening off route

And losing his cool posture, his Buddha-like contentment.

 

Linda has seen him, too,

But she also has seen his double and his triple,

And she thinks they might be a gang, a club, riding separately.

 

Although it would be nice for the fat guys 

In neon green shirts on bicycles to belong to a club of lookalikes,

I prefer to think it’s just the one fat guy with the fleeting wave, doing his thing.

No comments: