Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2022

2 Fun

Yesterday, I heard a voice behind me in the Target line: "Ask her, Mommie, ask her!" 

When I turned around, I saw a very tiny girl, about two, reaching toward Luci.

"You ask her," her mama said.

"Can I pet her?" she asked me.  

Then she lunged toward Luci and poor pup didn't know quite what to do with a human that small.  An unusual move for Luci, she backed away. 

"What?  She doesn't like petting?" the girl asked me.

Her mama showed her how to reach out more gently, palm down.  "She likes you, Honey, but it takes her a little bit to get used to you." 

****

Just before that, a wiry older man--about my age--approached.  He was wearing all black and a gold cross.  

"I love this dog," he said squatting on the floor like a much younger man, petting Luci.  When we parted he said, "God bless you, Luci, and give you a long life."

****

In the parking lot, a woman called out, "What kind of dog is that?"

I said the usual, "She's a mutt."

"Well, she is beautiful," she said walking toward us.  "She could be in a movie."

Luci is oblivious to whether or not she's beautiful, but she liked this woman--a lifelong dog rescuer.  "My husband and I have rescued 237 dogs since we've been together," she told me.  "We find them abandoned and we take them home and try to find families for them, and when we can't, we keep them."

Of course, I told her the story of Janet and how she found Luci at SNIPSA in January, 2021 and knew she was My Dog.  "She likes her so much," I told the dog rescuer, "that she wants me to write her into my will as Luci's mama in case Luci outlives me."

"No," Maria said.  "Put me."

****

Iyana at another store said of her rescue: "I adopted her when she was a baby and they told me she wouldn't grow much, but she's gotten huge, forty pounds and still not grown.  She has a big quiet soul, she's  peaceful, rarely barks.  She loves everything and everybody, but she hates water.  I recently found out she's some famous German dog called a yag terrier."

**** 

Everyone wants Luci to be a certain breed of mix thereof: a Pomeranian, a Corgi, a Sheltie, a miniature Collie mixed with Dachshund.  Luci doesn't give a hoot what she is. 

But she's famous in her own little world of streets and stores.  When we walk into our favorite pet-friendly stores, one or more of the clerks  always calls out, "Hey, Luci!"

It's fun--to see how a ten pound dog can bring smiles to the faces of so many strangers! 

No comments: