Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2022

Fun

Nellie told me about a book she's reading called The Power of Fun/How to Feel Alive Again

One of the questions posed in the book was something like this:

Recall times when you've had fun.

Nellie called me because I was honored to be in one of her memories of fun: a meal we put together and shared on a balcony in Florence.  Of all the meals we shared together in Italy, we both remembered this dinner of cherry tomatoes and cheeses and breads on that balcony.  

I also recalled a meal we had outdoors in one of the villages of the Cinque Terre at the edge of water, boats of many colors, tourists and locals drinking wine, laughing, eating whatever.  Part of the novelty for me was drinking wine!  Most of the fun part was being with Nellie and both of us being in the moment in a beautiful environment, the complete absence of stress or obligations.  

It got me thinking about fun.  How often do we actually experience playful joyful times we'd call fun?

Until I actually read the book, I'm not sure what the author (Catherine Price) would say about fun, but I'm guessing it has to do with novelty, the right companion, pure play, and/or learning.

I asked another friend and she told me about an ex who taught her to walk on three-foot stilts! 

Fun energizes and invigorates us.  It makes us lose track of time.  And it opens our eyes and senses: Hey, look at that!  Hey, look what I can do!  Wow, this is exhilarating!  

And so I'm asking you:  When was the last time you had pure unadulterated fun?  Maybe you could make a list of the ten most fun things you've done this year--as I'm going to do.

If it involves another person, maybe you could call them--as Nellie did me--and make their day by recalling a really really fun thing you did together! 


No comments: